Friday, April 18, 2014

A to Z: Politics



The A to Z Challenge is underway this year, thanks to the awesome hosts and minions. Special thanks to Arlee Bird for starting this amazing blogging challenge!!! For more information about this challenge, go to the website!

Primary theme: World of Aramatir (Setting for The Champion Trilogy) Glossary
Secondary Theme: World-Building Questions and Thoughts

P

Perren Hawksmith – Royal Falconer of Rrysorria

Petar – a young Lord of Rrysorria, Lady Deredi’s son
 
World Building Thought/Question: Do politics matter?
 
I touched on this with letter "j," but I wanted to mention it again. Politics and the way that people govern themselves matter in books that we write - whether we are working on the "politics" within a group of friends, or world "politics."

Addendum added late: By politics, I don't necessarily mean American type politics or even political structures of government - it can be that, or the kind of government you find in a group of teens - who's the leader, who's the follower, are their two leaders butting heads? Peer pressure? Politics on the large and small scale.
 
In different countries within Aramatir, there are slightly different political structures. Perren Hawksmith, although not a noble, is the highest ranking person in the Royal Mews of Rysorria, and there, he can even give orders to his King. This causes him a few issues with some of the nobles who think that he's trained their birds to pelt them with hawk chalk. :)

12 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

I can't deny it would be fun to some politicians pelted with hawk chalk once in a while. :D
Happy Easter, Tyrean!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Politics really factored into my third book. Had to with a galactic war in progress.

randi lee said...

Politics are a huge part of my current WIP series...which is funny, because I'm not a very politically-inclined lass....

Laurel Garver said...

Politics--all the machinations and manipulations behind the scenes--does make for compelling drama. Not the kind of story I tend to write, however. One author who does it well is Frank Herbert in his Dune series.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I never really touched upon politics in my books.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, it could be. :)
Happy Easter, Julie!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Um, I think that galatic war between different planets might count as politics . . . :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

It's interesting how things take shape like that.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Frank Herbert does politics very well.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I guess I wasn't thinking formal politics all the time, I was thinking of rivalries between people as well . . .

Sue Ann Bowling said...

Have a lot of interstellar politics in the trilogy I'm writing now.. Sue Ann Bowling
Homecoming Blog
Stormy's Sidekick
Blogging from A to Z April Challenge

cleemckenzie said...

I remember how Star Trek used their assemblies to make intergalactic decisions. I loved the intrigue of the back room deals and those Klingons were forever untrustworthy. Looked familiar to me.