Friday, February 7, 2014

#writemotivation, Write 1 Sub 1, and Celebrate the Small Things

Keeping it short today, hope that's ok.

#writemotivation goals for the month and check-in:

1. Revise ten chapters of Champion in Flight. - um, I've only worked on about 1,000 words this week. Somehow I got caught up in another project.

2. Finish critique of friend's novel. - not yet.

3. Bike 80 miles by the end of the month. - Biked 30 miles last Saturday. Hugely painful but rewarding.

4. Complete Write 1 Sub 1 challenge. - I have the poem I want to submit, but I'm not sure where to submit it yet.

5. Drink 4+ glasses of water each day. - Yikes - only a few glasses each day.

6. Jump in some puddles. - it's seriously dry for Washington state.

7. Ski, laugh, and have fun with journal writing. -  laugh - yes, fun with journaling - some, ski - planned, but not sure I'm going since I woke up with a sinus cold/headache/earache.
 
 
 
Celebrate the Small Things:
1. Unexpectedly, I found myself immersed in my non-fiction project - currently named Dynamic Writing 1 (with 2 and 3 coming next) and wrote 27 pages in one afternoon. These will be writing curriculum guides for homeschool MG and HS students.

I started on this project because I've never been satisfied with the curriculum I've found for my own kids, I have training in writing curriculum as a teacher, and I thought, why not write some books that I might actually use? I've already written some of the pieces of them anyway to use at home and in my co-op classes.

2. Despite being totally distracted by the non-fiction project and grading papers, I did manage to get some work done for Champion in Flight.

3. No plans for Saturday - so my hubs and I might go on another 30 mile bike ride.

 
 

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Drink more water - it's good for you.
Hope you get in another thirty miles. Then you'll be way ahead of the game.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - yes, I know . . . somehow I've gotten out of the habit with water and I need to get back into it. And today I came down with a sinus/head cold - more reason to drink water.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I hear you about drinking water. I can usually feel the difference between when I drink enough and when I don't. Enjoy your bike ride if you get to go!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If it's something you teach, you can certainly write a book on it.

I miss bike rides. We used to ride up and down the hills at the base of the Sandia Mountains in NM. That was a workout. Always uphill and always into the wind!

Anonymous said...

Wow 27 pages in an afternoon. Way to go! Seems like you really got a lot of stuff done this week.

SK Anthony said...

What a busy week! Glad you got some work done for Champion in Flight. Hope you feel better soon so you can go ski. Have fun on your bike ride tomorrow :D

Tara Tyler said...

i think your goals were pretty lofty and you did a great job getting done what got done!

have a fun, puddle jumping weekend! (or sunny weekend!)

Rebekah Loper said...

I haven't even opened my revision project yet this month. Oops.

One thing I've found handy for remembering to drink water is to get one of those fun cups to carry around - the ones with a straw. I take mine almost everywhere with me, and I honestly feel lost nowadays if I don't have access to water.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Madeline - yes, when I drink water I feel better. :) Hopefully, we'll bike today

L. Diane - that's what I decided to be true too. :) And we have a few hilly bike rides like that near my house. If we want to go "long and flat" we have to take a drive to another trail.

Caffe - Thanks! It was a good week . . . except I still need to grade papers.

SK - yes, it was a good, productive week. Didn't ski-hopefully will bike today.

Tara - Thanks! I hope you have a great weekend too!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Rebekah - I think opening up a project is the hardest part - then once you get started on a project, it seems to go a bit better. I leave mine open on my pc desktop so I don't forget it.
Great tip for the water! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've gotten sidetracked by other projects too. It happens. ^^;;

I have some snow you can jump in if you want. It's water... in a way. ;)

You're doing awesome on your goals, keep it up. \o/

LD Masterson said...

You've got some good goals and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get to check off everything I'd hoped to do at the end of the month.

VikLit said...

A thirty mile bike ride sounds impressive.

You have inspired me to remember to drink more water!

Rhonda Albom said...

Your new non-fiction project sounds well needed. I also have not found a writing program I love for homeschoolers. My 13 year old is a NaNoWriMo winner this year, and I would love to find the right place to keep her advancing and motivated. Looking forward to your completed work.

mshatch said...

I have a hard time drinking as much water as I should - hope you get to enjoy a nice bike ride :)

Lissa Clouser said...

My goodness you're busy! Wishing you the best of luck with everything!

Jamie Dement (LadyJai) said...

Welcome to #Writemotivation and good luck on your goals, they are amazing! And remember, progress is progress. I love your "focus on the small things" It does help get through some rough patches. Good luck on your writing curriculum! That is an interesting goal/task! Are you planning on posting it somewhere? I've been journaling too...on a new site because I had some very dark times lately and I needed to understand them. At least that's my writing, even if it isn't back into my novel yet. I'll get there though.