Thursday, January 17, 2013

18 Things and Celebrate the Small Things Late


This is a Thursday/Friday post. I may be having a few of those in the next several weeks as we ski on Fridays, and I want to be able to visit blog buddies as well as post.

On the earlier version of this post, I forgot to Celebrate the Small Things with VikLit, so here it is late:
I survived Thursday. This is an accomplishment because between 2p.m. and 9:15p.m., my oldest daughter had a science study group, a performance group rehearsal, and my hubster and I had an awards ceremony for his work between from 5:30 on, and both my daughters had to make it to tap class between 8:15-9:15 which meant we left the award ceremony early, picked them up at two different places, and took them to the studio . . .where we sat and talked for an hour (reward!).

Jamie Ayres is hosting an 18 Things Blogfest in celebration of her new book 18 Things and the fest runs from January 17th through the 24th - so go now, and sign up! You still have time to participate!

jamiebucketAll you have to do is blog about things on your bucket list.  Anyone who posts on their 18 things between January 17th and January 24th is entered into win some amazing, and fabulous prizes. Seriously, check it out by following the link!

Here are my 18 Things:

Not in order, and you can skim them by reading the bold print:

1. Hug my kids every single day . . .well, until they go to college, and then I'll have to virtually hug them every day.

2. Cuddle with my husband every single day, forever.

3. Go on a mission trip in another country. I'm thinking about going to Kenya sometime in the next five years. My church supports a school there, and the opportunity is there for this summer . . .if I could find the time, the money, and maybe bring my whole family along . . .my oldest daughter is ready, but I'm not sure the rest of the family is, so we are going to wait a bit.

4. Find a way to volunteer in my community in a way that makes a difference in someone's life. I've volunteered at a corrections center, a cat rescue, and my church in the last ten years. After three years of weekly volunteering tat a women's correction center, I felt I needed a break. There had been a series of lockdowns, and there is nothing like being stuck standing in the yard and waiting for the security officers to confirm that you really are a volunteer and not an escaping prisoner. Volunteering at the cat rescue was fun, and a good way to volunteer with my kids, but our schedule got crazy last year and we haven't been back in a while. I've volunteered at my church in worship, Sunday school, and leadership, but I feel like I need to do something different now. Something that makes a difference . . .and I'm praying about that. Maybe something to do with reading or writing with kids and my local library . . .I'll see.

5. Travel. This is a huge one, and could take several pages. I want to go back to places I've been and loved: Hawai'i, Britain, Scotland, Wales, France, Washington, D.C., Alaska, New York, Florida, California, Whistler, B.C., and more. Plus, I want to travel to all sorts of places I haven't been yet: Prague, Istanbul, Italy, Spain, Ireland, maybe Germany, Ethiopia, Kenya, India, Japan, China, the Carribean, New Zealand, Australia, Jerusalem, Peru, Mexico, and more. I once thought I wanted to visit every continent before I died, but I think I can go without Antartica.

6. Write and publish at least a dozen novels, and a few collections of poetry and short stories. Plus, try all three kinds of publishing: self-publishings, small press, and large, traditional press. (that means I have to get at least two books accepted by someone else).

7. Pray deeply and continually.

8. Seek God's guidance daily through study and prayer.

9. Drive a race-car.  (I did say this wasn't in order, didn't I?)

10. Fly a plane, again. I did this once with my Dad when I was 12 in an ercoupe with dual controls. He took off, I flew around and learned how to turn, etc, and then he landed the plane.

11. Skydive or hanglide - at least one of these, or both.

12. Climb a mountain - I used to want to climb Mt. Rainier, but now I'm thinking a wee bit smaller. Experienced climbers I know suggest starting with a smaller mountain and working up to Mt. Rainier.

13. Ride the Seattle To Portland (STP) bike ride at least once.

14. Be an encouraging and loving person.

16. Write down some of my parents stories.

17. Share my faith with another person. Ok, I've done this, but I would like to do it again. Back when I volunteered at the corrections center, I saw some tough, bitter women come to faith, and change their attitude about life. I felt really blessed to be a small part of that change.

18.  Make a movie with my husband. (No, not that kind of movie, people, sheesh.) My husband has been a video guy for dance studio recitals, short films for church, and a video called "Beauty of Movement" that we worked on together using clips of dance and movement under the direction of a friend of ours who is a dance studio owner, director and choreographer. I would like to work with him again on something creative, or something that highlights making a difference in peoples' lives or volunteering in our community or in the world . Or maybe just something on the inner beauty of each individual. (I'm just spewing ideas, here)

 
Can eighteen things save a life?
Olga Gay Worontzoff thinks her biggest problems are an awful name (after her grandmothers of course) and not attending prom with Conner, her best friend and secret crush since kindergarten.
Then Conner is killed in a freak boating accident and Olga feels responsible. When she downs an entire bottle of pills to deal with the emotional pain, her parents force her into counseling. There, her therapist writes a prescription in the form of a life list titled 18 Things. Eighteen quests to complete the year of her eighteenth birthday.
All she has to do is fire-walk, try out for the cheerleading squad, break a world record, and err . . . go on her first date. Good thing Nate, a new hottie in town, enters her life with perfect timing. He brings the fun factor to her list and helps her discover the beauty and strength inside herself, then complicates things by falling in love with her.
Just as she’s finally embracing the joys of living life for the moment, her therapist reveals a terrifying secret and Olga’s world is shaken. In the past year it took eighteen remarkable things to change a life, but nothing she believed about her mission is true.
Now she doesn’t just risk losing her true soul-mate forever, she risks losing her very soul.

What are your 18 things?


35 comments:

Tonja Drecker said...

This is a nice list! When I was in college, I dreamed of doing something missionary like - but then 'BANG!' married with kids :) And yep, hug those kids everyday and get them after college as often as you can.

Tyrean Martinson said...

T. Drecker - Thanks! I agree, once you have kids, life changes, but it's awesome adventure at the same time!

Precy Larkins said...

Cool list! And the book, 18 THINGS, sounds really intriguing!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Precy - Thanks! I think it sounds good too, but I haven't read it yet.

jaybird said...

Sounds like a great book. And what a beautiful bucket list. You have a wonderful, giving heart and it totally shines through this list.

Karen Lange said...

Wow, this sounds like a great idea! I may have to give it a try. It was fun reading your list, Tyrean. Have fun skiing tomorrow! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like your list, although I am not fond of planes. And number seventeen is the reason we are here, isn't it? To show others the way of peace.

Emily R. King said...

I love your top five on your list. I need to copy them and add those to mine!

Susan Kane said...

18 things? I loved each one of yours. If I weren't this age, I would add "Hike the Appalachian trail" and "Learn to fly a plane".

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your list!!!! You're such a 'nice' person with a huge heart. I love the hugging your kids every day. I try to do that anyway with the two I have at home. Unfortunately, mine are growing up and leaving the nest so I hug them a lot whenever I get to see them.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Jaybird - I think it sounds like a great book too! Thanks!!!

Karen - it was definitely fun to put together and caused me to reflect on a number of things.

Alex - that's definitely the reason we're here . . .but I admit I lose sight sometimes of that in the midst of things.

Emily -Wow! Thanks!

Susan - Thank you! You never know . . .you might still do it!

jennykellerford - Thanks!! Although my kids aren't to that flying the next part yet, I know it's coming. Hug those kids!!!

Julie Flanders said...

How cool that you've flown a plane before. I'm impressed! Love your list and laughed about the movie with your husband LOL. This is a really fun fest and I'm so happy for Jamie. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Julie - Thanks! I'm enjoying this fest too, and I'm happy for Jamie - her book looks really good.

Tara Tyler said...

great list! all encompassing!
and i did the same thing with the small things! almost forgot!

Barbara Watson said...

It's such a fun blogfest! Love your list.

VikLit said...

What a great list
(and lovely small thing to celebrate - sounds like a busy Thurs!!!)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Tara - Thanks! I had fun putting it together and it really made me think about stuff.

Barbara - Thanks! I'm having fun with it too!

VikLit - Thanks! And yes, it was a busy Thursday, so we are starting our day a bit later today, before it picks up speed.

Al Diaz said...

Very busy Thursday that one was. I'm glad you survived it! And quite an interesting bucket list. I like it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Al - I'm glad I survived too . . .and Thank you!

Allison said...

Great list! Skydiving is one of the crazy things on mine too :)

Allison (Geek Banter)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm having so much fun reading these, and want to steal some for my own list! My hubby is a creative type too. He works for a local TV program called Paradise TV, and I always thought it'd be fun to write a script with him . . . maybe we'll do a screenplay for 18 Things:-)

Ink in the Book said...

Making it through a cram packed day is a sweet accomplishment:)

Yay! Jamie's books sounds great!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Such an inspirational list Tyrean.... The most wonderful thing about this list... it is REAL and ATTAINABLE! May it all happen for you!

Happy Friday and weekend!

Golden Eagle said...

I like your list!

Traveling to all the continents is a great goal . . . I'd love to do that myself someday.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lot of running around on your Thursday night. Congrats on getting every thing done and everyone safely home :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. RANDOM.ORG picked you as a winner--hop on over & claim your prize:-)

sjp said...

what a lovely list, sincere and achievable :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Allison - I think skydiving just sounds amazing!

Jamie - this is such a fun thing to do to put together a bucket list! Thanks for hosting this!

Ink in the Book - I agree! Some days are like that.

Michael - Thanks! I really appreciate that!

Golden Eagle - Thanks!

Jamie - Wow!

sjp - Thank you!

Misha Gerrick said...

Those are some great goals. Praying God guides you as well. :-)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

You're quite daring - flying a plane, hang gliding!

2013 is starting out great for me with an agent and publishing contract. I'm grateful to the Lord that one of my dreams is coming true. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Wonderful goals!

I see no reason you can't achieve them. Driving a race car -- awesome!

Suzanne Furness said...

Some days just seem so busy we wonder how we get though. Glad your hectic day worked out. I also enjoyed read your 18 things.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I think your #7 is my favourite.. although hugs and cuddles come a close second.

michelle said...

What an extensive list!
No#7 is one that never ends... and sometimes I don't do enough of it *sighs*

kjmckendry said...

I love your list! Driving a race car would be so cool!