Thursday, January 12, 2012

Poetry Moment

With revisions for The Crystal Sword moving along steadily thanks to the advice of a friend, I've had less time for writing poetry.

However, I would like to post some poetry each month, and I found and started revising this poem last night as my daughters danced. Originally I wrote it for all the company dancers from our old dance company who ranged from age five to sixteen.









For the Dancers I Know

We Dance

We dance in taps, sneakers, foot undies, point shoes.
We dance to pop, hip hop, and waltzes slow.
We want to get on with the beat, the show.


We may be only five, or sweet sixteen,
we dance with heart, with rhythm, feeling
music flow from toes to ceiling.

We stomp, tip tap, get down, and leap.
Across the room, we float, we jive, we scuff.
Don’t you dare call what we do just fluff!

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nice!
Do I dare ask for a definition of 'foot undies?'

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - LOL. I knew that would grab someone's attention. Foot undies are tiny little bits of footwear that have an opening for the big toe and an opening for all the littler toes together, and then the "shoe" just covers the ball of the foot and the top of the foot. It's usually for "barefoot" dancers who want to be able to turn more easily. Trying to do multiple turns while barefoot doesn't work because feet have a fair amount of traction. They are also less expensive and more comfortable that a traditional jazz shoe or soft ballet slipper.