Monday, July 25, 2011

Sparkfest #1 Doomed to Be a Writer

Sparkfest is an awesome Blogfest hosted by Christine Tyler at The Writer Coaster

We get a choice of three questions, or the wonderful random choice of making up a little bit of our own idea and mixing it with the theme . . . which is more the way I write already.

So, I thought about the question: which book made you realize you were doomed to be a writer?

And I have to say . . . all of them. Really, every book I read makes me realize that I'm doomed to be a writer. Whether I love the books I read, or strongly dislike them to the point of barely restraining myself from the urge to throw them across the room . . . I still come away wanting to write. And I love reading. I read like I breathe. I read fiction all the time, and non-fiction every day in smaller doses. Every time I put a book down, I am filled with the compelling urge to write, and write, and write again.

Sometimes the perfect, sweet, wow, amazing, incredible books fill me with a bittersweet hope that I will write like that someday.

Sometimes the awful, disgusting beyond belief, yuck, crummy, no-way-would-the-heroine-be-that-naive books fill me with the need to write a better story.

I can't remember the first book that made me realize that I'm doomed and blessed to be a writer, but each time I read I feel the need for paper and pen, or keyboard and screen.

If you haven't joined Sparkfest - go and sign up. Or just add your thoughts to the comment section - what book (s) fill you with the urge to write?




Scripture Blessings:
"And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light." Genesis 1:3

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

"Doomed" - that's funny!

Angie said...

I feel the same way about books. I think it was A Wrinkle in Time that first set me on the path though. What a book!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - Thanks!

Angie - I remember that book! A great read!

And for everyone - ooops!! Sparkfest is in August - I feel sheepish, foolish, seriously embarassed