Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Blog Schedules? Right or Wrong? And Teaser Tuesday

Blog Schedules?

Are they worth it?

It depends. There are bloggers that have a very set schedule that they follow faithfully week after week, without fail. There is a comfort in knowing when I can read certain posts by those particular bloggers. There is also a joy with certain types of posts.

Teaser Tuesdays can be fun, short and sweet.

A blog I read used to have One Goal Fridays where all the readers were invited to share one goal for the coming week. The feedback and encouragement were wonderful.

As a blogger, there are benefits to having a schedule. I know what I "should" post every day. It's set out in advance, and I can write my posts ahead of time if I want to . . . and even give myself some "random" days in between.

I tried blogging for 365 Days for a blessings count with relative success. Relative meaning, I had plenty of missed days and make up days. I just didn't get to my blog every day.

So, do schedules work?

I think it depends on the blogger.

I have a tendency to be random. I like the idea of a schedule, but here I am breaking it one more time. I gave it up mostly for Poetry Schmoetry last week. I missed Monday. It's Tuesday. I have a Teaser Tuesday post, but this topic weighed in on my mind along with a thousand other things at 5 a.m. this morning. So here I am, blogging randomly. No plan. No pre-writing. Just throwing it out there. Is that wrong? The antithesis of all good blogging?

What do you think?








Teaser Tuesday
"What does it mean?" Stretch asked, suddenly interested in the story behind the ancient text.
"It means the Author is at work even if in the darkest of times, we just have to trust him."

from Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow by The Miller Brothers




Scripture Blessings:


"Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith." Galatians 3:23-24

8 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

After juggling, changing and tweaking I've landed on every other day as a *schedule*. That leaves me openings for random posts. A-Z was a close as I ever got to certain thing on a certain day. couldn't hack that permanently.
Schedules are just guidelines as far as I'm concerned, like outlines.

Joanne said...

I have three days a week where there is a theme and it does help me. but there are times that I change it and thats ok too. Whatever works best at the moment is fine. Thats what great about having your own blog you mold it and create whatever you want...awesome.
Great post!
Blessings, Joanne

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My schedule consists of three designated posting days, but as far as themes, only every other Friday is set aside for the Fantastic Friday Writers. (Even then I add other stuff.) And I know the last week of the month will have a next month movie preview somewhere. I like posting about what I want though.

Pam Williams said...

Good discussion. I will be interested in reading the comments. I tried having a schedule for posts but found that just aiming for three posts a week works better for me--two on my own blog and one on a blog I share with two other people.
Pam at www.2encourage.blogspot.com

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I've often wondered the same thing. I try to be consistent, but then week's like last week happen when I couldn't blog because my house was torn up with remodeling. I did let my followers know. And now I'm back at it, trying to meet my schedule. Happy blogging. :)

Kathi

Brianna said...

Going through a schedule revision myself at this point. I like having a schedule, but I feel guilty when I miss a day or get behind. Still working on it.

Keena said...

I dont have a scedule or a theme for certain days. Every blog for me is random. I'm not sure how a scedule would work for me. I tend to write off the cuff. I try to blog at least once a week but more if I can.

Tyrean Martinson said...

GigglesandGuns - "Schedules are more like outlines" - I totally agree! And I'm beginning to find that the looser the schedule, the better.

Joanne - I like your schedule! Theme days are nice for organizing my thoughts, and I am beginning to see that having a theme for every day of the week is too much.

Alex - I've noticed that you do an amazing job of visiting other blogs, and I am beginning to see that to actually visit other blogs, I need to pull back on my scheduled posting days. Thanks for stopping by again!

Pam - I am also enjoying the discussion! I have a couple of neglected blogs that I am considering shutting down, because I just don't have time to post so much. I am amazed when other bloggers are able to juggle more than one blog - good job!

Brianna - I am in the same spot. I appreciate your honesty. It's encouraging to me to know that not everyone has it all figure out.

Keena - Off the cuff can be freeing and fun, but at the same time I seem to need an "idea" bubble to fall under from day to day.

Thanks for your awesome comment conversation everyone!