Monday, June 20, 2011

Bored Already?

In that odd moment between school and dance ending, and true summer beginning, I am cleaning off the shelves. Currently our second, overloaded bookshelf is partly in pieces all over our back hallway. I am currently pretty content with that project.

However,

My daughters, with only 2/3 of a summer day under their belts, are bored.

After a week of excitement, we've had a whole 24 hours at home. Yesterday afternoon we decided, due to mommy exhaustion, not to go to the church softball game. I am feeling pretty good today, and again, my eldest reminds me, my kids are bored.

However, I feel that boredom is that place between activities, that place where our minds rest and our imaginations start to work. Boredom is good.

Boredom forces the owner of said state of mind to choose something to think about or do. Sometimes I think boredom is just a state of not getting what we want (friends at our house NOW), or not being sure of what to do next. There are always plenty of activities available around our house like: playing with sister, playing with dogs and cat, training dogs and cat to do tricks, reading, drawing, crafting, scrapbooking, beading, outdoor play on a tire swing or with hula hoops or bikes or . . . well, you get the idea.

There are also the less fun activities to choose from like: cleaning, laundry, dusting, vacuuming, weeding, and giving the dogs baths.

My youngest has wisely decided to read. If my eldest tells me that she is bored again . . . well, there are more shelves to dust.

She really wants me to call her friends' moms and make fun happen for her. I've asked her to call, and she doesn't want to . . . so I'm back to plan A. Today is a day off from all outside of the family activity. It's just us, and it's ok.

I have plans brewing in my head for writing, the worship and music meeting taking place at my house tomorrow night, homeschool planning for next year, my mom's upcoming 70th birthday party, and many other things. Boredom for me just means rest, and time for my mind to plan and daydream. Hooray for Boredom!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Yes! hooray! My kids say "i'm bored there is NOTHING to do!"

Moms say "I'm overwhelmed...I wish I could just do NOTHING! Great post. Blessings, Joanne

Tyrean Martinson said...

THanks Joanne! Blessings to you too!

Laurel Garver said...

My daughter's school sends around an article every year that talks of the benefits of boredom--and that as parents we need to let kids feel the rub a little and not rescue them. As you say, boredom is usually the gateway to wonderful creativity and imagination. Hooray for that!